Sometimes I Feel Like Throwing My Hands Up In The Air

Saturday 5 February 2011

Sometimes I think back and reflect on my time in London. Feels like I have been here such a long time now. In a good way but sometimes also in a bad way. I came here before the credit crunch. And even though it seems like the market is slowly heading in a positive direction, it's safe to say that London is not what it used to be. I sometimes wonder how long it will take for it to go back to the London we all used to love. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fantastic city, and judging by all the tourists I see everyday on the circle line, we still got loads to offer.

London used to be so...carefree. People were happier and calmer, obvioulsy. A friend of mine moved to London about 1 year ago to discover what London had to offer. She's gone to study abroad now, and even if we had such a good time while she was here, I had to convince her that this was not the real London.

Maybe change is something good though, I think the grass is always greener on the other side, and as mental selfdefence, the brain always makes sure we look back at the past through rose tinted glasses. Things that weren't always so great will seem, if not nice, at least manageble in a few years. Because that's how time heals.

I wonder what this blog would have looked like if I started writing it when I first moved here. It would probably have been very different. You grow and mature a lot when you live in London. It's quite a rough city. The competition when it comes to things such as jobs and  places to live is so fierce that you learn fast how to be in order to come out on top. For me, who came from a sleepy little village I also realised that you must never allow yourself to be naive. When I meet new models who are just starting out in London I try to advise them especially if they are young so they wont have to go through the same mistakes everyone else does.

God I sound like an 80 year old woman! But this is what I mean, age becomes irrelevant in London, it's your experiences that counts.

"You find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
-Samuel Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment